Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: i am happy!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 30, 2002 at 09:42:07:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: i am happy!!! posted by get used to it... on December 29, 2002 at 23:08:48:

Pull? Let's think about that.

The only person on this list who has pull is Sean Chisham--he can pull any message he wants. Nobody else has pull. Everyone else has to make their point through persuasion.

How does one persuade? By clearly presenting ideas that make sense, in a way that does not provoke a defeating emotional response. If a post produces anger, then it has failed to persuade. If readers are distracted away from the content, then it has failed to persuade. "Mozart, you are passionate, but you do not persuade." Remember that line in Amadeus?

Does it make me a nice guy that I (sometimes) know how to do that? Or is it that I know how to do that so I seem like a nice guy? Think about that, and then you'll understand how important it is to write well. I could hold the same positions I've expressed many times on this forum and seem like a real jerk (like, maybe, now).

Rick "who is a nice enough guy to warn Kyle of the dangers of poor expression" Denney

Follow Ups: