Re: BAT-Specific Playing Techniques? Rick D?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jeff Hicks on December 30, 2002 at 12:28:16:

In Reply to: BAT-Specific Playing Techniques? Rick D? posted by MP on December 30, 2002 at 12:12:55:

This is my experience as an amateur hack trying to play my BAT Conn 20j. Some of my opinions have been said by Rick D. My experience is that the one thing that makes a huge difference in playing as compared to a decent 4/4 horn is control. Control on several different levels. Control of volume is hard to maintain. While it is very easy to get a quality FF, a nice mezzo piano to blend into a small group is hard. I spend a lot of time playing simple exercises as quietly as I can to try and make this better.
The air required for this is not easy to control either. Trying to maintain an average four bar phrase can be quite a challenge. A common misconception that Rick preaches hard against and I concur is that Large horn= Large Mouthpiece. I recently obtained Mike Finn's smallest and largest mouthpieces for BBb horns. The smaller one actually allows me to play better. I have tried all kinds of mouthpieces in my 20j.
I hope this helps and if someone would like to correct me feel free.
My .02 cents,
Jeffrey Hicks

Follow Ups: