Re: BBb or CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Frederiksen on December 30, 2002 at 13:24:04:

In Reply to: BBb or CC posted by Keating Johnson on December 29, 2002 at 21:11:18:

Once I played a concert and during the intermission the bass trombonist was telling me how nice it was to play with a tuba player on a CC. He gave me all reasons that basically said the only thing he had against the regular tubist was he played a BB flat. Little did he know that I was playing a G-50 and switched it to BB flat and played the second half on BB flat. Afterwards I talked about it - he heard no difference in sound although he said he can hear the difference between a CC and BB flat. Then I told him what I did. He was amused although it didn't prove squat to him. For me, I was able to tell the difference as the BB flat side of the G-50 is a bit stuffier than the CC.

It is interesting that the BB flat Holton that Keating is refering to was bought from Mr Jacobs who use to keep it at Orchestra Hall and did play it with the CSO. There were some pieces he thought laid better on a BB flat than CC. He said that in sharp keys on the BB flat you used a lot of 2-3, 2-4 valve cominations, the same is true with flat keys on the CC. Besides, that Hoton BB flat is on hell of a horn!

Follow Ups: