Re: BAT-Specific Playing Techniques? Rick D?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on December 30, 2002 at 17:10:10:

In Reply to: BAT-Specific Playing Techniques? Rick D? posted by MP on December 30, 2002 at 12:12:55:

The best thing to do is try one. Play it with the band. I can only speak from my experience with a 20/21J, but after you adjust to the feel of the horn (big bore does feel a bit different) and what happens in response to your input, you will understand what you need to do to play it properly. In the case of the Conn; it really sings. After the first time I used it at a rehearsal, the comment was made that it had a much "happier" sound than my small bore German horn..

Rick Denney is right about relaxing and letting the horn do the work. Unless I am trying to play at very loud, or very, very soft volume levels, the big horn is more relaxing and a lot more fun to play, than smaller horns that require more work. My little Mirafone is OK in it's element, but trying to hold up its own in a 35 piece band as the only tuba - man, I am bushed at the end of a rehearsal. The real effort with the 20J is hauling to and from, and lifting it onto the tuba stand.

Follow Ups: