Re: Tis the Season to Audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Stefan on December 31, 2002 at 11:27:13:

In Reply to: Tis the Season to Audition posted by Chuck Jackson on December 31, 2002 at 04:07:22:

In some ways I disagree with the idea of going for an education (or other) degree if full time performance is what you want to do. I will get to that.

Right out of high school, I don't think many students have a clear idea of reality. High school seniors who are great players and want to make a career out of it have blurred visions of the future. They think they are going to make it and know that they will do what it takes. But they lack experience to truly know. So they go and spend 4 years or so as a performance major and in many cases find out that they didn't do what it takes. So they spend several more years getting the masters. All the while the bills are stacking up and the call to "settling down" is getting stonger. Then reality hits. Why didn't they relize this sooner - like back when they were the optimistic high school senior?

The above paragraph makes a strong case for going for an alternate degree. But, that alternate degree doesn't make you "hungry" for that full time orchestral playing job. It can make you complacent on an easier path. So you get some other job (educator or some other job) which was probably easier then getting the full time orchestra job. The money starts coming in and you have a girlfriend (or boyfriend). You get comfortable and decide its time to move on - and so on... What happened to those great dreams you had back in high school?

I say (and this assumes you have some great support from your teachers and more experienced friends and family) go for the performance degree if performance is what you really want. You HAVE TO make yourself work. And you need a strong teacher and strong friends and family to kick your butt and tell you how it really is - because a high school senior really has no idea. It's not you fault though - you just need to grow.

Stefan Antwarg

Follow Ups: