Re: home recordings using a sony MD

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Russ Dickman on December 31, 2002 at 14:13:53:

In Reply to: home recordings using a sony MD posted by jim on December 31, 2002 at 13:28:57:

Hi Jim,

I use a Sony Walkman N707 for home recording. It allows me to set the recording level manually as well as it's auto default (which I find not too useful). I use a Sony mono mic that plugs into the mic input of the unit. I use this set up when I want to record on location and it does quite well as long as I set the levels properly. At home, I am now uning a Sure micraphone with an adapter to the Sony unit. This does a better job of recording in my opinion. Once the track is laid down I connect the Sony unit to the sound card in my computer via the headphone jack on the Sony unit. A mini stereo plug is used for this purpose. I then open my recording program (Ntrak) and push play on the Sony and record on my recording software.(It will be nice if Sony sees fit to update the firmware and software to be able to move the files digitally) Once the track is recorded on the computer there are all sorts of post processing you can do. I then mix down the track to a .wav file as well as an .mp3.

It really is quite easy and fast. It opens up a whole new world for you as you get instant feedback, not to mention the fun you have.

I have noted a link to my web page for you. It shows my new tuba, the Rudolf Meinl 4345 and has some mp3's for download. They were recorded using the process medtioned above.

Happy recording!

Russ Dickman

Follow Ups: