Re: Tis the Season to Audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on December 31, 2002 at 14:47:14:

In Reply to: Tis the Season to Audition posted by Chuck Jackson on December 31, 2002 at 04:07:22:

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree.

I don't think anyone should go into education/teaching unless their heart is truly in it. I absolutely loath hearing people talk about using their education degree as something to "fall back on", and even moreso, I hate hearing people ADVISE others to get a teaching degree as something to "fall back on". Do you realize how unfair that is to your potential students? I'm sure we've all had teachers who've had to "fall back on" their education degree... failed musicians, failed actors, failed scientists, etc. Teachers who feel like they've had to lower themselves to teaching temporarily in order to make ends meet. Teachers with a grudge against their students, and a grudge against life in general. Public schools are full of them. It is my personal belief that our first responsibility is to the contribution of an ever-advancing civilization.. to improving our society. If becoming a teacher is beneficial to us, but detrimental to society(and bad teachers are VERY detrimental to society), we're not only holding back the progress of our nation/the world.

Teachers are our most valuable resource. No single profession has a greater influence over the evolution of society than public school educators. Education jobs should be taken very seriously, but unfortunately they're not.. they haven't been for several decades, and that's why we are where we are now.

That said, though, I do agree that today's students need to look at the big picture of life, and instead of just thinking about playing the tuba, to start thinking about their career. Education might be the key for many individuals who are sincerely passionate about it, but there are hundreds of options out there. Find something you love, and do your best at it. For many of us that might mean teaching- then it's our responsibility to become the best teachers we can possibliy be. For the rest of us, that might mean becoming a great accountant, a great traffic engineer, a great business manager, a great janitor, or a great social worker... none of those, though, makes you any less of a musician.

...for what it's worth!

Anthony "still not quite sure where his potential lies" Labelle

Follow Ups: