Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BAT-Specific Playing Techniques? Rick D?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ross on December 31, 2002 at 17:32:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BAT-Specific Playing Techniques? Rick D? posted by Frank on December 31, 2002 at 16:54:01:

I have owned two recording basses, one of which I still have. When I purchased my Holton recording bass, I was aware at the time that band directors did not like forward facing tuba bells in their indoor ensembles. (I played a Conn 20J in college and at that time and place, some 40 years ago, there was no objection to the front facing bells.) Therefore I laid the Holton across my legs and turned the bell so it pointed up. I draped my right arm across the tuba to reach the front piston valves, which was a bit of stretch, especially with the strong springs mine had. The people I played under had no objection to my using the tuba in this manner. In fact I think some band members thought this was certainly a strange horn which was being used in this way. The Holton was very awkward and top heavy to hold upright with the bell facing front, so in all situations I preferred to lay it across my legs to play.

I have used the Reynolds recording bass that I currently own in a similar fashion, although it is not quite as awkward a horn to handle as the Holton.

I am wondering if others have had similar experiences in playing their large recording basses.

I might add, that I sometimes lay my upright tubas across my legs to play as well. In certain surroundings during rehearsals, this often results on a nice sound reflection off a wall, giving better auditory feedback as to how I am doing!

Follow Ups: