Re: Proper tuning technique

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A. Friend on December 02, 2003 at 23:30:58:

In Reply to: Proper tuning technique posted by Gordon Stanfield on December 02, 2003 at 19:26:14:

To tune a tuba you can't completely depend on the tuning slides. As a matter of fact they do very little for you in the long run. What you first must be able to do is hear the pitch in your head and sing it in your head. Your should spend time on the mouthpiece getting these pitches exact. Then when you go to your horn and play the pitches you hear in your head you should be pretty close. I realize that no horn is perfectly in tune (I'm privilaged to have my Perantucci that's pretty close), so what I would do first is tune your open notes with the main tuning slide. Then you can go ahead and tune each slide to where it's a comforatable embechure and it's in tune. You must remember, however, that you can use tuning slides to aid your tuning but they won't put the horn in tune if you aren't singing the right pitch from your lips. The tuba is merely a projector of the sound that comes from you.

Good luck

A. Friend

Follow Ups: