Tone, Pitch, & Temperature

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on December 03, 2003 at 09:44:18:

Hey Gang,
I just had a reminder of what I already knew, but just wasn't using my head. Like most amatuer tubist, I was having an "off night" and wondering why my sound at Monday night's band rehersal was "reedy". I kept listening and by my ears I was playing in tune and my slide was about where it normally is. However, I didn't like my sound and it was real work instead of pleasure. Well, the answer slapped me in the face and on my hands after the break. Sitting on the door side of the stage, we had our coats on because of the breeze. There was a draft and the door is propped open so that the rest of the band doesn't roast on the very hot stage. I was greated by a very COLD tuba! The band was hot and should have pulled their slides out a bit extra. Being colder in the draft, I needed to push the slide in an extra 3/4".

The point is, with the slide in a bit extra, I was able to relax my chops and open up my sound again. It also became relaxing and fun to play again. It's far more efficient to relax and play on the flat side instead of lipping up to the pitch. IF you don't know what I mean, try pushing the slide in a little extra, then relax down onto the pitch. It's so much easier and your tone opens up! Matt

Follow Ups: