Re: OH NO!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris B on December 03, 2003 at 21:16:05:

In Reply to: OH NO! posted by Tony Clements on December 02, 2003 at 18:37:42:

Anyone who reads the board might recognize that I post periodically and am the proud owner of a 1291, purchased about a year ago. I needed a horn that could do everything as I could only afford one instrument. I play in tuba quartets, a brass quintet, commnity bands, and community orchestras. For several years I played a CC, so 'I don't consider myself a BBb snob or anything. I was looking for the best horn I could afford (read not $10,000+) and I really didn't care about the key. I tried A LOT of horns (at least 20 or so from new to used). This horn was the one I chose and I have never regretted it. I was tempted by the Fafner but a little concerned that its size might make it tough in small groups. I have yet to have anyone who tried it not fall in love with it.
Miraphone seems to have finally decided to stop resting on their laurels and get on with it. For $200, the 5th valve was a no brainer, even for all you sceptics who think it is a wast on a BBb. So was the decision to stay with lacquer as it was something like $1,000 more to go silver.
I have yet to find anyone who has played the "hand made" version of this. Anyone ever see one? Pricey, so out of my price range. It is hard to imagine this horn any better. It really is a chameleon and can be made to sound smaller than it is as well as larger. OK,OK, so I'm in love with it. It is hard to sleep each night with it tucked under my pillow, though :)

Follow Ups: