Re: String Doublers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on December 08, 2003 at 01:10:27:

In Reply to: String Doublers posted by Paul T on December 04, 2003 at 17:03:36:

I play an old (and free!) Kay upright in a jazz trio. It nets me a nice chunk of extra change each month, and each gig almost always comes with free food/adult beverages. Played in Vicksburg last night and got to read down all of the Vince Guraldi "Charlie Brown Christmas" stuff, which was fun. The rest of the book was Sinatra stuff and the Real Book, of course.

I started by doubling on Dixieland gigs, and did just that for a couple of years. The trio thing is a new addition to my life since this past summer. I still feel a little "nekkid" playing a gig without having a tuba next to me to fall back on. It is a lot of fun making money this way; sort of like when I first started to make money on the tuba back in '83. Sometimes, the tuba is just business for me. It is not as much fun to do as it was twenty years ago. The bass has made the fun-factor part of my playing again, and it caries over to the Symphony and my beloved tuba. It has become a much-needed breath of fresh air in my musical existence.

Wade "playing the bass is like living music theory" Rackley

Follow Ups: