Tuba Vacancy - Buffalo Grove Band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Howard M. Green on December 09, 2003 at 12:51:47:

Thanks to Steve Marcus, first of all, for publicizing our need of 1 (2 would be even better!) tubists for the Buffalo Grove Symphonic Band and for making me aware of this BBS!

For anyone who might be interested, our group is only 2 years old and is already 70 members strong. Each year we perform 2 formal concerts, 3-4 Holiday concerts, and 5 or more Summer Concets, including the Village's July 4th celebration and Arts Festival.

We pride ourselves on playing challenging repertoire. Last Spring we performed (among other pieces) Dvorak's Carnival Overture, Finlandia, and Krance's arrangement of Carmina Burana. On October 25th at our Fall Concert we played Night on Bare Mountain (the Mark Hindsley arrangement), Rhapsody in Blue, Peter and the Wolf, and Russian Xmas Music (Alfred Reed). For our May concert we will be performing the entire Pictures at an Exhibition (again, the Hindsley arrangement) among other pieces. That concert will be in the 2000-seat Performing Arts Center of Stevenson High School in Lincolnshire, IL. at 7 PM on May 16th. (We can use a second tuba for that concert as well, so if anyone is interested we would love to have you join us when rehearsals for the group resume on January 8th!). Lest you think we only do "blockbusters" we also play much lighter selections such as Broadway and Big Band music. Solos in our short history have included trumpet (Hummel), piccolo (Vivaldi), piano (the Gershwin), and Horn (Strauss 1 in Fall of 2004). A work for tuba is definitely on my wish list for the future.

We rehearse at Meridian Middle School in Buffalo Grove from 7:30-9:30 on Thursday evenings from January thru the week before Thanksgiving.

As per Steven's post, please feel free to email or call me if you are interested. My email is clarinet_man(AT)yahoo.com and my phone numbers are 847 913-9039 (home) and 847 538-3532 (days).

Thanks in advance for your interest!

Howard Green
Music Director,
Buffalo Grove Symphonic Band

Follow Ups: