Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Record Labels

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DZ on December 12, 2003 at 11:19:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Record Labels posted by Steve Marcus on December 12, 2003 at 01:34:53:

My experience with Mark has been very pleasant. Mark Morette is a very personable and straight-forward guy who also has pretty high standards regarding the quality of material that goes onto his recordings. His discs are distributed to Tower Records and internet sites like Amazon.com, Walking Frog, TAP, etc.

Unlike some of the other labels, Mark's financial deal is not punitive to the artist, which actually creates the possibility of a break-even scenario. Most important in my decision to go with Mark is the fact that he seemd genuinely interested in getting my business. The other labels that I approached did not even acknowledge that they had recieved my master recording, even after phone conversations that established a potential business relationship.

To me, the term "vanity label" seems perjorative. I'm not making a CD so that the music world can notice me...I'm making a CD so that I can maybe achieve tenure and continue to collect paychecks! You know: publish or perish/ baby needs new shoes/ insert your cliche here!!

Nobody is getting rich making classical music CDs.If Mark can provide a very similar service as some of the other big boys at a fraction of the cost, with the added bonus of bona fide customer service, it only seems like good business sense.

Follow Ups: