Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Smaller mouthpiece for bigger horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Elliott on December 12, 2003 at 12:28:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Smaller mouthpiece for bigger horn posted by jeff miller on December 12, 2003 at 05:40:31:

You said "the volume of air in the moutpiece begins to make the air column act as though it's longer than it actually is... this effect becomes more pronounced (i.e. the virtual tube gets longer) the higher you play on the instrument. I've always felt that this was why a large cupped mp can work well in the mid to low registers, but make the horn flat at the top."

That's an interesting idea, but the reason why it's flat on top is because the backbore isn't big enough to balance the size of the cup. If you open the backbore or the throat, it raises the top end - making it "more cylindrical" expands the harmonic series. Remember, a straight (closed-end)tube, no mouthpiece or bell) only resonates odd numbered harmonics, and the addition of a mouthpiece and bell flare compresses the series. If it's too conical (too compressed) the high range is flat. It's the delicate balance of all that that makes it interesting for me, as a player and designer.

Follow Ups: