Re: Re: Tuba/Euph Doubling

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lreformed eupherV on December 12, 2003 at 16:36:42:

In Reply to: Re: Tuba/Euph Doubling posted by bloke on December 12, 2003 at 01:01:44:

"Try to find an easy-to-play* instrument (Yamaha 321 / Weril 980 / etc.) and don't try to play the euphonium with some sort of mouthpiece that you think will help you "since you are a tuba player". Keep it simple. Use a mouthpiece that has a proven track record as a euphonium-playin' mouthpiece...Steven Mead #3 (Wick), 51D (Schilke), etc.

*To me, hard-to-play instruments include older Besson 4v comp. euphoniums (stuffy/many funny notes) and Willson non-comp. model 2704 (whacky intonation - 2nd valve loop is at least an inch too long.)"

This, IMVHO, is good info. Although I was eupher first, I spend so much more time on tuba or bass trombone (not a lot of euph gigs out there....) that I started to think I needed a "tubaist" euph mpc. I reality I needed more face time on the old euph. I do have a couple strange euph mpcs that are stricktly special application items, but for the most part, to sound like a eupher, I pull out the 51D or SM3.

As far as the easy part goes I believe every instrument has it's challenges, and Bloke isn't saying otherwise. There is no insult I see. I usually don't move the last chair cornet player the euph or tuba. When I teach these grades, I move the 2nd and 3rd or the 3rd and 4th chair to these horns with much better results. This leaves the best and the worst in the cornet section and gives the low brass a fighting chance to catch up and be successful.

FWIW

LV

Follow Ups: