Re: Re: Vintage BBb's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Robb Stewart on December 14, 2003 at 18:13:12:

In Reply to: Re: Vintage BBb's posted by Tom Railsback on December 14, 2003 at 14:20:35:

Interesting and intelligent discussion.

I wanted to tell you, Tom, that King didn't make any tubas until after about 1910. The widely circulated serial number list for King is way off for these early years. King was importing instruments starting in the 1890's and started manufacturing trombones and cornets by about 1905 and added larger instruments in the years following that. A tuba with a very low four digit serial number was likely made just after 1910.

As to the side action/front action debate: it's certainly a matter of personal preference. I find that front action is preferable for ergonomic reasons, especially on smaller tubas. Even on 6/4 front action tubas where a small guy like me has a bit of a reach, I still find that it is easier on the tendonitis in my right wrist. York and Martin had angled bits, like those for sousaphones, between the mouthpiece and mouthpipe, so I can put these two behemoths in a comfortable possition. I have a 1938 York in my shop right now. I'm not much of a player, but I try to pay attention to these things for customers.

Follow Ups: