Re: Standard Dress in the Pits?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by 99.999999999%.... on December 15, 2003 at 10:01:17:

In Reply to: Standard Dress in the Pits? posted by Pollster on December 15, 2003 at 08:40:37:

...of the time, for a Broadway production (including New York, National Tours, and local productions) you will wear all black. There are varying degrees of this, however. Some contractors insist on black slacks, no jeans, and long sleeve shirts with collars. Others (usually for more "rock and roll oriented" shows) will allow black jeans and t-shirts. Almost always, you will be given a hard time if your t-shirt has any writing on it. One contractor in New York has tried several times to get the orchestra to wear tuxes, but has been talked out of it. The most recent production of "Annie Get Your Gun" in NY was onstage, and you showed up with black pants, and were issued a brown cowboy shirt and hat to wear. Picture a monotone Ghost Rider in the Sky look. The "On the Town" orchestra was also onstage, and wore black slacks, black dress shirts, and black bowties.
The "Cats" orchestra was completely backstage, and when I asked what to wear, I was told, "just make sure your groin is covered."

Ocasionally, you will wear tuxes for opening night, but I've never, ever seen a Broadway orchestra asked to wear suits.

Opera and ballet orchestras are a different situation. For opera, I'm usually asked to wear tux at night, and dark suit for a matinee. Ballet can be the same, or be tux for opening night, and black dress pants and black dress shirt for the rest.

Follow Ups: