Re: Re: Teaching and reality

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on December 18, 2003 at 18:11:56:

In Reply to: Re: Teaching and reality posted by tony on December 18, 2003 at 09:38:45:

I believe I have the right to judge, since it is me that is paying 50-75% of the tuition costs of state university students (and most all other state university students' pursuits, for that matter) pursuing "performance" degrees. A "full tuition" (regardless of "scholarships", etc.) at a state university of $5000 - $12000 annually certainly only covers 25-50% of the actual costs. Taxpayers obviously foot the bill for the rest of the costs.

Those who wish to study in private institutions to pursue overloaded professions are quite welcome indeed to do so.

Though obviously I cannot individually judge these applying students, I would hope that those (such as Mr. Zerkel, etc.) would judge in my behalf by designing particularly strenuous curricula and standards for these government-paid students who pursue overloaded professions. This procedure automatically filters out those with little chance of benefitting me from my investments in them. Somehow, I know without witnessing that Mr. Zerkel does this, but I'm concerned about the other thousands of state university studio teachers who may be more interested in studio size than studio quality.

Joe "who would actually prefer to invest his tax dollars in his own kids - rather than 'all' kids, thus monitoring this situation with more individual and careful control" S.

Follow Ups: