Re: Midwest

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Marcus on December 19, 2003 at 12:15:18:

In Reply to: Midwest posted by Steve Marcus on December 19, 2003 at 01:51:06:

Mpc found and retrieved!

Thank you very much.

Now I can reflect more calmly on my visits to the booths at Midwest.

Roger Lewis was right. The Miraphone 1291 in both its CC and BBb configurations are marvelously easy playing horns. The CC speaks clearly and in tune all the way down to DDb--the d-flat just above pedal CC. Tone quality is even throughout the range, but not devoid of "character." Roger indicated that Alan Baer had a hand in designing this horn and will be playing it in NYPO.

The Miraphone 181 F tuba is also impressive. Even one of the gentlemen (who frequents this BBS) who was staffing one of the other tuba booths conceded that the 181 was probably the best playing, best value F horn currently on the market (he pointed out one small idiosyncrasy of the horn, just for argument’s sake).

And yes, the Jupiter 4-valve sousaphone plays pretty well. It is a little stuffy around D to D-flat just below the staff. But otherwise it speaks without much effort, including the notes that benefit from the 4th valve. Specs quote 31 lbs., so it didn’t feel any heavier on my shoulder than a 20K. Workmanship and longevity? Time will tell.

Follow Ups: