Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teaching and reality

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on December 19, 2003 at 17:53:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teaching and reality posted by Bin Love on December 19, 2003 at 12:57:27:

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that colleges are mistaken because you cannot major in football, or are you sayying that colleges are mistaken because you can major in music performance?

If the only difference between football and music performance is that you can major in the latter...

Not to put too fine a point on it - are you *sure* that "music performance" is a "major field of study"?

My point is that I do NOT think that it is a "major field of study".

Let's try another comparison: with Chemistry this time. An undergraduate degree in Chemistry requires quite a bit of lab work. The better students can even pick up some money working in labs. But, at the end of four years the degree is in Chemistry - not in "Chemistry Performance". Students can "audition" for, and get, jobs as lab techs if they can demonstrate appropriate applied chemistry skills, even if they never finish the degree - but the "major field of study" is Chemistry - not Chem Lab.

Follow Ups: