Re: Re: F or Eb?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rex Roeges on December 22, 2003 at 23:40:07:

In Reply to: Re: F or Eb? posted by Best Bang for Buck on December 22, 2003 at 21:09:40:

I have to agree with this, it seems that Eb is the way to go. I say this because I'm also an old BBb'er, but I now mainly play CC and Eb. Learning Eb was waaay easier than learning CC, but both were well worthwhile (for me). Nothing against F horns, but a lot of people have problems below the staff with them. For me, notes on the Eb just pop out, all over the range (I use an old B&H 4 valve compensator), and many others on this board have reported similarly.

A used 4 valve Besson or B&H compensator really is a lot of bang for the buck, you can get a nice light sound and a very full range. There are lots of other good Eb's out there, but that's what I like.

If you had the bucks, consider an MW 2141. I tried one, a few months ago, and it was pretty fantastic. It would make a pretty good "do everything" horn (of course the same could be said about other horns, like the 2145, the Rudy 4/4 CC, the 2000, the 52J, etc.). Still, a large BBb and an Eb are a pretty darn good combo.

Good luck with your hunt.

Follow Ups: