Re: Dolly/Cronkhite comparison . . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Conclusion . . . on December 23, 2003 at 11:35:26:

In Reply to: Dolly/Cronkhite comparison . . . posted by Wade on December 23, 2003 at 02:22:29:

So, I am very pleased with my new bag. The Cronkhite is much better in its build quality than my Dolly bag. I got it instantly in comparison to the horrid experience foisted upon me by Dolly and her husband back in 1995. (It seems that this is still the case in about 50% of the cases today as well.) And the bag looks really nice, too.

However, the bag just feels a bit thin. I find myself really wishing that Glenn Cronkhite would offer a plastic undershell similar to Dolly's. I think that he would then have the "perfect" bag, offering the best materials, workmanship, and protection available. Right now,k the bag only scores a "good" from me for dent protection, whereas the Dolly scores a "great" due to its plastic sheets. The padding is about the same in each bag, so the difference in protection is the leather in one versus the plastic in the other. The leather seems to be a bit thinner than that used in RB bags from 20 years ago.

I plan to buy one of these for my 621 F soon. But I might check out a Dolly in leather. I am not sure. I still do not trust the zippers and seams, and have heard that the leather she chooses to use is very thin. And I would like to have it delivered sometime before I retire, too.

Does anyone here have a newer Dolly bag in leather? I would like to get some feedback and photos. If you do, please e-mail me.

Thanks, and I hope that my information and photos were of help to someone out there.

Wade "Merry Christmas to you all" Rackley

Follow Ups: