Re: Re: Re: Audition Question....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bloke on December 24, 2003 at 12:53:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Audition Question.... posted by Sean Chisham on December 24, 2003 at 12:29:35:

A very high-profile tuba player, who choses to play "Till Eulenspiegel" on CC tuba, released a solo recording of that excerpt with a breath in the middle of a sustained high note right before a final crescendo and resolution to another pitch.

Though I, a far-less experienced player (' only been hired to play "Till" a couple of times) would play this work on F tuba and sustain/crescendo the note through, the high-profile player has won four major jobs - and I'm quite certain that he had to breath in the middle of that sustained note for at least one or two of those auditions. I would suppose your "dropped notes" inquiry would apply here.

With all different shapes and sizes of instruments that all offer different advantages, we all make our choices as to how to cope with various encountered problems. In an audition situation, we evaluate our skills and then make our own best guesses as how we should present these skills to those who judge us. Possibly, the more profound our individual personal reputations, the more our own technical and interpretive decisions are viewed by those who judge us as being definitive.

Follow Ups: