Re: Re: Re: Re: absolut pitch

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on December 25, 2003 at 09:05:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: absolut pitch posted by Andy on December 25, 2003 at 05:20:12:

The point about having a range within a named pitch is very good and to the point.

My confortable A is about 443 - 445. I have to think flat a little to get A at 440. Add to this the therom that A in an F major chord will be a little off to be in tune, as opposed to the A in an A major chord. (the third will feel sharp to be in tune).

Personally, I have trouble in hearing overtones being produced when a cluster of notes are played. I was tested by a group of professors one day, and I would hear one or two strong overtones as well as the actual played pitches. I also have a problem hearing more than 5 or 6 notes in a chord without hearing overtones.

Oddly enough, as I am typing this, my wife turned on a laptop that Santa got for our daughter. Its tones produced when turned on were a/c#/e, all about 1/4 step high. Sometimes I can feel what the original pitches were supposed to be, and hear what is being played at the same time. (for example; when I listen to something on a pitch adjusted machine and realize that something is wrong, I can state the correct key with about 70 to 80% accuracy).

Merry Christmas to all!

Tom

Follow Ups: