Re: Re: Re: Re: Opera/tuba question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by core on December 25, 2003 at 15:08:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Opera/tuba question posted by Wade (long) on December 25, 2003 at 14:43:56:

Yeah, of course it depends on the wording of contracts. I've played quite a few "special pops" shows where the full orchestra was not on stage...a lot of tuba parts in the folder, and a few bass trombone parts.

The tuba is a "core" position (for the "brass quintet...I guess). The bass trombone is per service, and I'm not sure that there is any guaranteed # of services. I do a lot of quintet subbing, and the local symph b/t player is rarely asked... (don't ask / don't tell ??)

Funny, our local orchestra makes no consideration in $cale for New Year's Eve. Thus (with a few getting other gigs, but mostly out of "principle") tons of symphony folks are regularly "sick" every year for the "New Year's Eve Gala". For instance, the oboe section will include a per service English horn player as "Principal oboe", a sub as 2nd, and my kid (from out-of-town - only happens to be here for the holidays) on English horn.

Each year, there's an "I Have a Dream" sort of "gospel" concert every February in a large fancy urban church... ...obnoxious political speeches within delivered by incredibly highly self-esteemed "I'm the daughter/son of so-and-so's".

...many "illnesses" that week as well.

Follow Ups: