Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: looking for used 45slp/z

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bloke on January 02, 2004 at 14:35:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: looking for used 45slp/z posted by whoops! on January 02, 2004 at 12:15:45:

I've come across the same "phenomenon" when posting about "B&S"... ' guess I should follow the webmaster's "Name only:" instructions.

The SLZ has less resistance, obviously, than an instrument (B&S "Symphonie") with a 1st (5th) valve with only a .66-something" bore, and I'm personally not accustomed to that "vacuum cleaner" feeling...and I'm not used to not having a 6th valve - so all my scale fingering patterns are different...but I thought quite favorably of the SLZ...I might personally "compensate" for the "less resistance" with a smaller throated F-tuba mouthpiece than I'm currently using. Primarily, I was paying attention to the scale, the sound, and the ability to focus. Again, obviously I tried to ignore the "feel", which is totally different.

OK, I wouldn't choose the SLZ for myself, but it immediately obviously played so much better than the Piston version that I feel pretty strongly that there would be large numbers (if they were afforded the same comparison) who would agree with me, and surely many (particularly those who prefer less resistance and a fine instrument as well) would prefer the SLZ as an ultimate choice for themselves.

Hey, it was deleted by the webmaster, but someone (a mountaineer, I would have to guess) made up the new nickname for me - "f*****g 2-bit hick". Just out of curiousity Christian, do you prefer "bloke" or the new name?

Follow Ups: