Cervany ACB-601 For Sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 05, 2000 at 18:15:45:

Well, you read the title correctly, I am actually selling my Cervany ACB-601. I've been using this horn with the Florida Philharmonic Orchestra for the last few years on really big works, most recently last season in a set of performances of Prokofiev's 5th Symphony. Just so you know, I really like this horn and regret having to sell it but I just spent some time play testing a Nirschl York copy and I've been offered a really incredible instrument for an equally incredible price. But the only way for me to afford the deal is to sell the Cervany. So, here are the particulars:

Cervany ACB-601 with 5 valves. Those of you who visit this BBS often know that this 5th valve is an added one, using factory parts. As a result, my 5th valve is a flat whole step rather than the half step configuration available on new models. But the work looks absolutely stock and original. The horn has a couple of VERY minor dents but these are strictly cosmetic and don't affect the playing of the horn at all. I have had a great deal of custom work done on the horn including having the valves and valve ports scooped out to match the .835 bore of the horn. I've also had solid strips of wire (3/8" half round) soldered inside the bell and on the inner curves of the top and bottom bows to darken and add core to the sound. This procedure was suggested to me by Don Harry who had one of these tubas himself and had done the same thing. This horn also has a main tuning slide stick for adjusting the main slide while playing. This eliminates the need to pull any of the individual valve slides while playing. The horn plays pretty well in tune so there really aren't that many notes that require adjusting anyway. I had the lacquer stripped off when I had the custom work done so the horn is in raw brass. The sound is very large, kind of like an oversized Rudy Meinl 5/4 tuba. This horn projects like crazy with a big germanic style sound. Because of its bore size, it takes ALOT of air so be prepared for that!

The current Brasswind catalog lists these horns, without any of the custom work mine has, for $5195.00 without a case. My asking price is $7000.00 and includes an extra brand new leadpipe and an Altieri gig bag that is in excellent condition as well. If you're interested please email me privately. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you can help me find a good home for this wonderful tuba.

Follow Ups: