Re: Conn 25J vs Modern large tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam Crowe on February 06, 2000 at 11:46:58:

In Reply to: Conn 25J vs Modern large tuba posted by Steve on February 06, 2000 at 03:47:08:

Hey Steve- Having played a 25J a while back and playing a PT-6P right now, I can probably make some comparisons, although I do get a slight feeling of "olden days" and a smile on my face when I see one of those 2xJ's!!

I feel that the 24/25J produces a huge quantity of sound whether you want it to or not. Of course you can vary the dynamics, but that ever-present sound will be the same when you play PP or when you play FFF. Even though you're playing soft, it still sounds huge. On the contrary, I like to be able to put a slight bit of "edge" or "bite" sometimes when I think it's necessary, and the 25J won't allow me to do that--it still keeps that round fluffy sound.

The PT-6P, on the other hand, WILL allow you to put some bite on things. That sound (and most of us know the precarious balance to get that sound!) is what I look for in passages such as Fountains so that the rhythm has a definite clarity. Clarity would be lost if trying to play Fountains on a 25J.
The soft end of the PT-6P is pretty responsive, I would say more so than most 5/4 horns. That responsiveness and flexibility just doesn't exist on the 25J either. Like I said, you get mostly one sound from the 25J. It's kind of an "on or off" issue.

Nevertheless, after my current horns are paid off, I'm going to find an ugly 25J to honk around on!
Take care,
Adam Crowe

Follow Ups: