Re: Re: Re: Cutting a BBb sousaphone to CC?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Still no expert... Mr. Stofer, can you advise? on February 07, 2000 at 02:23:07:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Cutting a BBb sousaphone to CC? posted by I am no expert either but, on February 04, 2000 at 18:45:40:

No, you do not need shorter slides because you are LENGTHENING an Eb, not CUTTING a BBb. I mentioned in my first post "This assumes, of course, that you have some extra room to pull your valve slides." I went home and looked at mine, and I believe I have enough extra to pull them the appropriate amount. I would welcome correction on this (Mr. Stofer?), because I've rounded and estimated quite a bit in my figuring, but it seems to me that you'd need to pull the 2nd valve a little less than 1 inch, first valve about 2 inches, and 3rd valve about 3 1/2 inches. If I'm right, then all I need is a longer main slide, longer by ABOUT 24 to 26 inches (running length, not 'doubled over'. Again, I welcome correction or more exact figures) Also after looking at my Eb, I think instead of needing a 'donut' shaped slide, I need one like a french horn 3rd valve tuning slide, where both sides come out then loop off to one side in a single plane.

Follow Ups: