Re: Re: Re: Re: Looking for a cheap metronome

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Another view on February 07, 2000 at 13:02:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Looking for a cheap metronome posted by Joe S. on February 06, 2000 at 23:50:41:

WARNING: Long-winded and rambling response ahead. Read at your own risk.

There are many reasons a person DOESN'T buy from the local music shop. I'll take your word, Joe, that you are unlike the typical music store ripoff, and I've dealt personally with Kevin at Tulsa, so I will attest that he is also an exception. But the music stores near me don't even STOCK tubas -- not any! You can order a very limited number of brands, but you must pay full MSRP, before ordering, with a 20% restock charge if I return it. They have one 'band instrument' guy in each location, usually a woodwind player who is totally clueless about any brass, and wouldn't know a tuba if one fell on him. Buy from him? No thanks.

But there are other reasons: Joe, you seem like a great guy, and I hate to argue with you. But how many tubas do you actually keep in stock, compared to WW/BW? Do you stock as many makes and models? As many samples of each? If not, the 'play them side-by-side' thing falls apart.

I also have to argue the point of sales tax being dodged: it is completely legal in 48 of the 50 states to sell to someone out of state without collecting sales tax. In all states that charge sales tax, it is the responsibility of the seller to collect it for HIS state, not the responsibility of the buyer to pay it for his. But 48 states (50 until a year or so ago) allow an exemption for sales to out-of-state customers, because the states figure they can help businesses in their state without losing revenue. After all, the mail order places wouldn't get that out-of-state business if they couldn't save their customers sales tax, so the state wouldn't get the tax money either way; so, might as well help out the mail order biz in our state, not the retail store in another state. I know it makes it more difficult for brick-and-mortar businesses like yours to compete, but to characterize it as illegal is inaccurate.

Now, what about guys (like me) who've never bought any horn new, and probably never will? I scout for good deals on the used market, and have found some bargains, horns with great character. But they do need work. I can understand you giving your highest priority to instruments bought from you (I'd be disappointed in you if you didn't!) but once their needs are met, it seems like you'd want to make that buck from the guy who DIDN'T buy from you, by providing repair service at a premium rate! 'Course, you have the RIGHT to deny him service, but why??

The one thing I definitely agree with is your opinion of the guy who comes to your shop, takes up lots of your time, gets lots of good info, then turns around and buys a $6000 horn mail-order to save 100 bucks. That's both crass AND short-sighted. But if the guy knows what he wants WITHOUT your advice, weighs his options, and decides to save the $150, gambling that he won't need repair (he may be right, you know), then it's the free market in action, and I can't criticize him, just as I can't criticize you for sticking it to him for repairs since you didn't make any money when he bought the instrument.

The free market. God, I love this country!!

Follow Ups: