Re: Contrabass and BBb tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tyler on February 09, 2000 at 04:30:30:

In Reply to: Contrabass and BBb tuba posted by Jacob on February 09, 2000 at 00:48:39:

I preface this response with the statement that I'm definitely NOT an expert on differences between contra's and tuba's, but I marched Santa Clara Vanguard for two years and I can tell you that it is in your best interest to not play a BBb horn with a drum corps horn line. A G-tuned bugle horn line is an extremely different environment than your average (or above-average) marching band. G bugles have a specific conical bore that provides the group with a distinct homogenous tone and tuning that is generally louder and more piercing than a horn line made of trumpets, horns, trombones and tubas. If you tried to play a BBb horn with the group, you might find yourself struggling to hear the right tuning, playing the wrong notes (do horn lines still write all in treble clef? you might have to transpose), and/or possibly become the "outcast" of the contra line. My first month in the horn line was a struggle, but once I got used to it, the G contra was an incredibly powerful conveyer of music when played on time, in tune, and with 75 other horns sounding the same way. I would suggest to take the effort to learn it and challenge yourself a bit. Isn't that what Drum Corps is about?

Happy marching (more like running nowadays),
Tyler

Follow Ups: