Re: Trios for Horn, Tuba and Piano by Wilder

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on February 14, 2000 at 20:35:45:

In Reply to: Trios for Horn, Tuba and Piano by Wilder posted by Steve Lamb on February 14, 2000 at 10:36:39:

"total number of beats in the movement" DIVIDED BY "metronome marking" is the timing (in minutes) for each movement. If different tempos occur within movements, add the sections up individually. Allow about a minute to walk on stage, bow, sit, and start. Allow about 20 seconds between movements (Try and limit it to this.), and another minute for acknowledgement of applause.

There will also be just a bit of time involved before and after the piece adding and removing the third chair and stand.

This all can be figured up at your desk with pencil and paper, and is less trouble than timing a run-through.

*************** EXTRANEOUS:

I like those pieces very much, and am sorry that I probably won't be up there to hear you play them. Sometime this year I hope to play one of those trios with my buddy, hornist Bob Gilbert (UNCLE of conductor, Alan Gilbert - guest with R.P.O. last year and BROTHER of Michael Gilbert - violinist in the NY Phil [Alan's dad]) and Bob's sister, Joan, a concert pianist. Bob went to school and on tour (Mancini et al) with your tuba professor. He will not play with, nor sub with, the Memphis Symphony because ridiculous treatment years ago, but is first call in Memphis, and has turned out students who have gone on to study at Juilliard, Northwestern (with Gail Williams), Indiana, and some who are now horn professors and principal players in professional orchestras. Memphis is quite lucky to have a brass player/instructor of his caliber in residence, and of course, that I why I would like to perform one of those trios with him.

Follow Ups: