Re: Dillon/Conn CC tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on February 16, 2000 at 20:50:17:

In Reply to: Dillon/Conn CC tuba posted by Matt G on February 15, 2000 at 22:43:38:

Go to Dave Fedderly's Baltimore Brass website and look at the Getzen G50. The new Dillon Conn is similar in size, shape, and appearance, with the most noticeable difference being the 5th valve in the leadpipe in the G50, whereas it is placed after the valve set, in the dog leg of the new Conn. I played a reworked Conn (possibly the one you played) with short action valves at Dillon's last winter. It was a larger instrument, and an interesting idea, but I didn't go for it. I also played a used G50 at Dillon's and considered buying it, but held off. Just as well because later an old York extensively reworked by Matt came back to Dillon's, and I grabbed it. The new Conn is very much a descendant of this mid-size York. Matt's personal working prototype has a York bell. It is a GREAT horn. I've also played a preproduction prototype of the new Conn, and I'm VERY interested in this instrument. Matt Walters has been written about extensively in this group, and has made some trenchant contributions of his own. There are some really talented and dedicated repair men around, and we're fortunate in the New York area to have a bunch of them, but Matt is in a class by himself for custom tuba work, and the fact that he also plays very well enables him to test his work, and weigh the validity of his design concepts.

Perhaps Matt needs to repost his announcement of the instrument, and maybe a nice picture this time.

Follow Ups: