Re: Re: Re: Converted Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by doubler on February 17, 2000 at 23:31:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Converted Tubas posted by Matt A on February 17, 2000 at 23:11:12:

I wish you luck in your studies. You will be advised by many that unless you ARE willing to settle for second best you must spend at least $10,000. Maybe, maybe not, but I would say that for most of us, who need a competent horn and can't afford to roll the dice with $8,000 on the table, buying a BBb and having it cut is NOT a good risk. If you can get one ALREADY CUT that plays acceptably in tune and sounds good, and that you can afford, that's great, but you should still only buy it if it meets your needs. What I mean by that is, as beautiful as that Holton is (and it is incredible) it would be a poor choice for a college student's ONLY tuba. And to buy this PLUS a 'petitis professionalus solous quintetus' you will be decidedly OVER $10,000. Seems to me your better off buying something like a Miraphone, a Meinl or a Rudy large 4/4 and start saving for a nice Eb (my personal favorite -- Jay's comments earlier today summed up my opinion perfectly) or F in a year or two.

Though you didn't ask, let me give you the official TubeNet line on picking a horn for college use: talk to the instructor at the school you will be attending, find out what horns he likes. Perhaps more importantly, find out what horns he HATES. If he hates Yamahas, and you walk in with one, you'll be visiting his assistant's studio every week instead of his own. Then, with his short list in one hand and the available cash in the other, start shopping. Play the dukey out of ANY horn before you buy (I speak from experience). If you bid for a horn you haven't played make sure you negotiate a trial period with the seller (at least a week, IMHO).

The very best of luck!

Follow Ups: