Re: Flight Case Construction

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Swensen on February 18, 2000 at 21:57:16:

In Reply to: Flight Case Construction posted by Shimshon on February 18, 2000 at 04:08:19:

I think it is important to remember that you will be packing a fragile tuba in your flight case, not a bunch of clothes, and, at times, the flight case will be under the control of some uncaring, often hostile baggage handlers.

Unless you are directly copying the design, materials, and construction of an existing, proven flight case, how do you know if it will protect your tuba? Are you prepared to test your new (empty) case by repeatedly dropping it 15 feet, or so, onto concrete, varying the orientation at the point of impact? Are you prepared to build another (possibly revised) copy of your flight case as you learn what the impact did to the first case? How will you determine if your tuba is adequately supported within the case, so that it doesn't crush its own bell when the case drops on its end?

Personally, I think it is great that you want to try to develop a flight case, especially if you are able to improve upon the available designs. If I haven't scared you off, I have found some sources of supplies for making road and flight cases. I don't have the pointers with me right now, but I would be happy to post them later, if there is interest.

Follow Ups: