Re: tuba shopping (again)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on February 19, 2000 at 02:50:37:

In Reply to: tuba shopping (again) posted by Shopper on February 18, 2000 at 19:32:16:

I know that the same old ones of us say the same old stuff, and although this IS my "same old stuff", here goes:

I just sent one of my university students to buy a Miraphone S-186-5U-CC with case w/wheels and cordura nylon cortex for right around $5000. (I sell 'em too, but NOT to my OWN students - not against University policy, but against MY policy.)

With intonation clearly superior to that of my (new) Hirsbrunner, and about 95% as much sound, I was feeling a green streak of envy running up my own back. If my old 186 that I bought new back in the '70's played as good and had as fat a sound as the one my student just got, I might still have it, today.

This NEW one that my student got offers the richness of sound of the early 1960's Miraphones (the ones that sounded great, but played horribly out of tune), but the best dern scale of any CC that I have ever played.

Methinks a cheap price and "out-of-style" rotary valves might be the only two things that keep this CC model from being the "CC model of choice".

Follow Ups: