Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Civic

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by HS-in all maturity on February 21, 2000 at 19:16:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Civic posted by doubler on February 21, 2000 at 18:32:30:

I don't want this any more ugly than it has already gotten. I didn't want to offend any body (even though I know I did), this is just a topic that has always urked me. I never meant anything about free teaching. MOST professionals seem to lack all modesty and happen to think that they were just blessed with superiority. Music is not a business though (at least this type of music) or it really shouldn't be. Professionals should teach because of their love of music and their love of enlightening others. I know this sounds like what it would be like only in a nice happy little utopia, but this should occur in the real world, however impossible.

I found out a lesson with a certain world famous euphoniumist costs $75 an hour (and this isn't at all near the highest I've heard: $120 clarinet lessons). There's nothing you can learn in an hour that is worth $75; maybe in five hours spaced apart. The mere reason one would pay this much is to be able to say, "I had a lesson with So-and-So." No one could ever possibly convince me that charging that much is just "making a living"; that's called making a fortune. I think the most anyone should have to pay for a one hour lesson is app. $25, otherwise it's just robbery/glamour. Granted, I pay $35 for my lessons, but there is no way around it.

I could elaborate on this more, but I'll stop now; I need to practice (no smart comments). I hope you see my point. I apologize for being so arrogent, however I did not appreciate you speaking of my personal life because of your extremely limited knowledge of me.

Have a nice day (yes that was sincerity and not sarcasm)

Follow Ups: