Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Prokofiev's Tubist??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 22, 2000 at 11:58:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Prokofiev's Tubist?? posted by Chuck Jackson on February 21, 2000 at 19:39:52:

Don't forget the Vaughan Williams 4th in your list of great orchestral parts. That tuba part has everything: devilishly difficult technical passages, earth-mover bass lines that must both blend and be an ensemble foundation, a separate voice in a fugal setting where the color of the instrument is highlight, and even a couple of lyrical solo lines (such as the duet with the bassoon in the third movement).

It may be the hardest tuba part in the repertoire. I have a study score of that symphony, and have attempted to play the tuba part, and I can't even touch parts of it. That's my point: it's a part that requires a professional to be a true professional. At least this composer respected the talents of the tuba player, and treats him as just another member of the virtuoso ensemble (not as a show-off concerto).

That it doesn't get played often is a real shame, but maybe conductors fear it, too.

As a tuba player, I was so focused on his Concerto and band music that early on I didn't pay attention to RVW's other, greater works. Even the second symphony has truly wonderful stuff for a tuba player, and it's a bit more accessible (for the musicians and the audience).

Follow Ups: