Re: 3/4 C vs F tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by .750 CC fan on February 23, 2000 at 19:08:08:

In Reply to: 3/4 C vs F tuba posted by corenfa on February 23, 2000 at 15:38:25:

I have recently purchased a M-184 CC and feel that it may be the perfect "F tuba" for me. It certainly LOOKS like an F at first glance! My sound on this horn seems to have the focus and response/agility that made the F tuba so much fun. The highest notes of a bydlo,( or the highest of the Berlioz licks ) are not as stable as on the F, but you could sure rip a nice petroushka solo on it. It is a very flexible and expressive instrument. I had yet to come across an F tuba that had a comfortably usable scale and/or low register that I could sing with, like for solos, or quintet use such as the Arnold 2nd Mvt, the Ewazen pieces or the contrapuncti. I feel that I can lean on it enough to support a Brass Ensemble or smallish Wind Ensemble, but It does have its limits on breadth of sound. I know there are folks who have found the F of their dreams, but I didn't. Perhaps I gave up too soon. I was considering trying some Eb as a compromise when this instrument suddenly became available. I feel quite lucky to have such a versatile 'real world' horn. My .02 8^ )

Follow Ups: