Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CC or BBb???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 23, 2000 at 23:23:11:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CC or BBb??? posted by Matt A on February 23, 2000 at 22:19:34:

The cost is about six grand for a new one.

As to whether it's the best, I can't say as a player (not even subjectively), so I'm going to answer from the perspective of a listener. I've heard orchestral tubists with Miraphones, and I've heard them with bigger equipment. In some cases, it was the same player. In orchestral situations, the bigger horns sounded, well, bigger, and, in the hands of one who understands them, *sweeter*.

(Off-topic aside: When Michael Sanders switched from his Alexander to the Yorkbrunner, I though the sound went from Commanding to Beautiful. It gained a lovable sweet quality that the Alex didn't have. I DON'T mean any less powerful. Mr. Sanders said the hardest thing about switching to that instrument was letting the horn do the work--the Alex was super versatile, but only if you had the chops)

I've also heard lots of players in smaller ensembles and in band tuba sections. I've heard everything from Kings to Conns to Yamahas to Rudy Meinls to Miraphones. And the only conclusion I can come to is that fine players sound fine, and better than me. The best non-orchestral player I know plays a Miraphone 186 CC, and makes it sing beautifully. He has The Sound--that quality that separates players like me from players like him. The best avant-garde tuba player I know in person plays a similar instrument, and does so beautifully. I've heard many, many fine (and money-making) pros in polka bands play Miraphones, and earn their keep with them. No horn is the "best" horn, but you could surely do a lot worse than a trusty 186, unless your gig is moving earth in an orchestra. And, even there, a few not-so-shabby dudes earn their keep pretty well with a 188.

Follow Ups: