Re: CC or BBb???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on February 24, 2000 at 23:11:24:

In Reply to: CC or BBb??? posted by Sterling on February 23, 2000 at 20:48:21:

I can't really respond from the point of comparing a CC to its BBb sister horn 186BB to 186CC for example. One thing for sure though is that there are a million factors into what makes a horn sound the way it does. Anything from mouthpiece selection to finish of the horn or what kind of brass is used (red vs. yellow, etc.) The bore size, the flare of the bell, the kind of valve used, the list can go on adnauseum. I honestly think the biggest reason is because for the last fifty years or so the largest percentage of top quality tubas made were CC rather than BBb. Except for Miraphone and a few models here and there in the Meinl Weston line (I know Czerveny and Conn and King and others made them, but generally they are not in the same league as Alexanders, Willsons, Hishbrunners, etc.) I think now that more manufacturers are making better BBb (such as the new Willson) and others hopefully will follow. (Like the new Conn; hopefully they will make a BBb version.) I think in the next 20 years you will find more players using BBb. Same with the Eb tubas. Look at MW, Nirschl, Willson, Besson, Yamaha, all making top quality Eb now. I bet in the next 10 -20 years you will see more guys (and gals) on Eb too. Just a thought from a different angle. From someone who is not a classiclly trained tuba player, but actually grew up playing trombone all my life and only saw the light about 15 years ago. :) ken k

Follow Ups: