Re: what's up with orchestral playing?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ted Cox on February 25, 2000 at 09:33:15:

In Reply to: what's up with orchestral playing? posted by ken k on February 24, 2000 at 23:28:37:

Allow me to take a stab at two points brought up in this post. The people who choose to pursue an orchestral career and who are successful in achieving that goal love classical music. What I mean by this is that the involvement of playing and being a part of such an ensemble is almost a religious experience. The music itself speaks to one's own soul. If you are in music for the purpose of having people notice what a wonderful player your are, get out now. You must play for yourself. I feel that music chose me and I had to pursue a career as an orchestral tubist. I am very lucky that I have a good orchestra to play in. Good colleagues, a new hall being built, financially sound and a conductor who doesn't ever put his hand in my face.
The second point I would like to address is the one about performance majors. I teach at a major university and I currently have 9 tuba majors, 3 performance and 6 education. I can honestly say that I tried my best to talk the 3 performance majors out of their degree choice. I couldn't change their minds and when I was their age, no one could have changed my mind either. All three have the "burn" to play for a living and I pray they will someday find a corner in the world to make a living. Tuba teachers aren't seaking out young players and twisting their arms to be performance majors, it's just the opposite. I am as honest as I can possibly be with my students and what lies ahead. It's their choice, their lives and their decission. All we can do as teachers is help them the very best we can in achieving their goals.
One more thing. If you are one-dimensional in the field of music, you are severly limiting your chances of employment. Learn all you can and BE CURIOUS about EVERYTHING. Teach, write both music and words, be able to play any style of music and be able to do business. My two cents as both a teacher and orchestral player.

Follow Ups: