Re: Re: what's up with orchestral playing?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve on February 25, 2000 at 18:54:52:

In Reply to: Re: what's up with orchestral playing? posted by Joe S. on February 25, 2000 at 00:49:13:

I am a 23 year old tubist just finishing my bachelors degree. For four years, I have been on the music education track, planning on being a high school band director in some small midwestern town. My dream has always been to become a professional player, but the sad reality is there are very few gigs and I knew that I would be happy with the music ed route.

I then evaluated myself as a player and as a musician. I am a mediocre musician. As I look around at the smaller universities, there are many average (and in some cases below average) musicians graduating with music ed every year. I feel that in order to be a good teacher of music, you first must become a good musician yourself. I decided at that point to change my focus to performing. My plans now include practicing like mad for a couple years and then graduate school.

The odds are against me (and every other tubist) to win a big orchestral job. The military route is always an option. But I look at it this way: If I go through all of the blood, sweat and tears to become a pro and I fail, I will have a better apprieciation for music as well as being a much better player. These are qualities that will benefit me forever, whether I get a teaching job or join the workforce at Mc Donald's.

Follow Ups: