Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sousas. vs.march.tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on February 26, 2000 at 00:58:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sousas. vs.march.tubas posted by Doug on February 25, 2000 at 23:30:03:

Sorry Doug - I forgot one important step (no pun intended).

While you have your leg up with your thigh parallel to the groud, your lower leg is pointing straight down from the knee at a 90-degree angle to the knee with your toe pointed at the ground. So your leg is actually sticking out in front of you. The step you refer to is what I call the butt kick, because you nearly kick yourself in the butt with your heel. With the powerstep, it's like you're kicking the person in front of you in the butt with the top of your foot.

If you do it correctly, you will notice that as you left leg comes up, your left shoulder cocks back a little, and your entire upper body leans back a little to compensate for the weight of your leg. It actually gives a good posture extension.

*DEFINITELY* not recommended for high schoolers. It's very difficult to get the entire band to look the same. That's why my college band stopped doing it a couple of years ago. Beleive it or not, as hard as it is to play and march with this step, it's fun when you do it right. There was almost open revolt when the band director announced that we wouldn't be doing it.

Clear as mud?

Follow Ups: