Re: MW2165 - how versatile is it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on February 28, 2000 at 14:29:41:

In Reply to: MW2165 - how versatile is it? posted by Interested buyer on February 27, 2000 at 19:49:11:

I concur with other posts stating that you will be disappointed with the versatility of a MW2165. It's a lot easier to push a small horn to get a big sound that it is to try to lighten up the sound of a B.A.T. I own a rotary PT-6, which is notably smaller than a 2165 and still create a very massive sound that fills the large auditorium our orchestra performs in. I never work to be loud and people tell me that my sound doesn't project it 'envelopes' them and 'takes up space'. I'm moderately proud of this accomplishment and can't imagine needing anything larger except in a markedly larger orchestra or band playing extremely sonically demanding literature. In my chamber groups I rarely pull out the PT-6 except in the rare Blastissimo piece. I much prefer the sound of my PT-10 in those settings. It can very easily take on the character of a small CC in those settings and I don't find the low register any more tedious than any other horn once a person has acknowledged that these big bore F's are *more* open
rather than stuffy and as a result require you to fill them up in order to create the response. If I could only have one horn I would probably stick with just my F. It doesn't create a standard American sound concept in an orchestra but it isn't at all unpleasant or out of character. Hmm..
The short version of what I'm trying to say is that I personally find it much easier to make a small horn sound big and that in my opinion if you owned a 2165 it would ultimately get little use and you would eventually sell it for something smaller.
As always, My opinion are subject to change at my discretion.
cheers!
joseph (working on this blunt thing ;b) felton

Follow Ups: