emboshure issues

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Denny on February 05, 2001 at 02:45:54:

I'm a junior in a high school band in rural Nebraska and my band director thinks I have potential to maybe pursue music. So at the beginning of the year I was noticing this weird hissing noise when ever I played the tuba, and since there are only 10 people in our band even the band director would notice. The problem is that I have a huge overbite and one of my canine teeth has another tooth growing over it. I had always been able to get a full sound even if it was on a fiberglass sousafone until earlier this year the hissing thing came up. So I've got this hissing problem. My band directors dad used to take care of horses teeth back on the farm (before we moved to the city) and he suggested that I get the tooth growing over my canine tooth filed down. So around early October I go to the dentist and tell him my dilema he worked out a way to take away almost half of the "piggy back" tooth. So i go through all this tooth repair and when I go to play the tuba I can't even get my lips to buzz any note through the horn. I've been trying everything to get this fixed. I could use all the advice I could get. Its really bad...I might have to stop playing.

Follow Ups: