Re: Re: Tuba safari [long]

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Off topic: Apperson Jackrabbit FYI on February 07, 2001 at 12:37:38:

In Reply to: Re: Tuba safari [long] posted by And... on February 06, 2001 at 18:04:24:

FYI,

The rather obscure reference by the previous poster is regarding a classic car from years gone by. From www.1inamillioncars.com, I found this posting regarding the Apperson Jackrabbit:

"This response submitted by trentcom(AT)hotmail.com on 12/23/00.

Edgar and Elmer Apperson were brothers who worked with Elwood Haynes in Indiana and then went into partnership with Haynes to build the Haynes-Apperson (1901-1905?) they went independent about 1904 and formed a car company that lasted until about 1923."

I'm not a classic car expert, but here's a sketch that's supposed to be this car:
http://www.ac-nancy-metz.fr/enseign/Autocompetences/infos/images/imag003.htm

I say "supposed to be" as I found another link that showed a different car altogether. I hope this one is correct.

Some additional OT background info from the online Encyclopedia Britannica:

"The city [Kokomo, Indiana] was revived economically through pioneer work in the
design and manufacture of the "horseless carriage" by two local men, Elwood Haynes
and Elmer Apperson. A monument east of the city marks the place where one of the
first clutch-driven automobiles with electric ignition in the U.S. was given its initial road test on July 4, 1894."

I cannot confirm whether or not Mr. Haynes or Messrs. Apperson also might have played the tuba. (tuba topic included!)

Regards,

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: