Finally ready to buy; need a play test

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on February 08, 2001 at 10:19:47:

OK, after pestering quite a few people with probably repeated and redundant questions, and reading everything I can get my hands on, I've decided that my best bet for a tuba is the Yamaha 621 F. Based on the fact that I wouldn't need to learn new fingerings (I already read C bass clef) and my only planned use is in small chamber groups, and I am quite small. It is definitely more than I wanted to spend, but it seems much better to get the "right" tuba for more $$ than throw it away on the wrong tuba.

The fly in the ointment now is that I have never played one of these; I've played an old "monster" York 3-valve Eb, an older MW 6-valve rotary F, a Parantoni CC, and a Rudy CC. What is my best method of getting a play-test? Private sellers of these tubas usually don't want to allow a play-test, and I'd rather not pay for a new horn when a used one will do just fine.

BTW, private sellers of (french) horns usually will allow a one- or two-week play test, as long as the potential buyer is willing to pay all the shipping. In fact, horn players highly recommend not buying a horn unless you have play tested it.

PS: the only tuba I've ever seen for sale here in Tucson, besides the York monster, was the Parantoni. It was neat, $6000, and a larger bore than I want.

Follow Ups: