Re: Re: changing instruments w/ PPitch

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on February 09, 2001 at 15:31:21:

In Reply to: Re: changing instruments w/ PPitch posted by Tom Mason on February 09, 2001 at 13:30:16:

I can sympathize with you but I offer no solutions. I think what you are calling "perfect pitch" can also happen with relative pitch. I have the same problem but I
don't have perfect pitch. I play a lot of Eb tuba, in both treble and bass clefs, so I don't get too discombobulated by the fingerings. The sharp-flat paradigm gets interesting, though. I find that not playing the same tuba with different fingerings is a physical cue to use a different set of fingerings and many hours of practice on each horn is required to develope the skills. I played Eb for three years, BBb for 47 (with some F thrown in) and Eb again for the last three years. I have the BBb to Eb thing down fairly well given an hour to change from one to the other but I do not think I could jump on a CC tuba and be effective in less than three weeks. I also don't think the change is totally a problem in logic; it involves the other side of your brain, too.

Follow Ups: